15 February 2011

In The Country

Growing up in Houston, TX, I never thought I would see the day that I wanted to live in the country.  I was a city girl in the heart even though I can feed chickens, gather eggs, feed hogs, pen up and feed cattle in the winter, harvest corn and hay, etc...
Moving from  Houston to Austin, then to Lago Vista and back to Cedar Park gave me an appreciation of living in the country or living the small town life, but having access to the city when needed.  I know, Austin is not considered a city, but it was city enough for us.  Now, I'm sure Austin is considered a city and Houston is considered "scary".  Moving the the suburb of Charlotte, NC (Mathews, NC) for a while, then out to the mountains of Banner Elk, NC was another big change.  When you live in the "highlands" of North Carolina (which are considered higher than the mountain communities), there are certain times of the year when you could possibly get cut off from everything below you due to the weather.  I didn't feel it much because we were self sufficient and didn't need to work outside of the home.  Tall, Dark and Handsome didn't like the cold though so instead of coming back to Texas (which I found out later, he really wanted to do), we moved to Destin, FL.  That was interesting, we lived in an upscale gated community with the bay on one side and the gulf on the other.  We downsized to a smaller community and ultimately lived in the country of Laurel Hill, FL.  I personally didn't like any part of Florida, but I adapt when needed.  We ended up here in the mountains of north eastern Tennessee not to long ago which I thought was the area we were staying in.  But alas, I am finally told the truth - he wants to move back to Texas.  He provided many excuses, but I know the real reason.  GOLF!  You see, in the Austin/Houston area, golf is plentiful.  There are numerous golf courses and now that Zack is learning to play and knows the game, he has someone to play with or at least teach.  He even knows the area of Texas he wishes to live in.  (Suburb of Austin - Surprise).  I was totally shocked at first.  After contemplating it for a while, I realized that it doesn't matter where we live, it is the family love/togetherness feeling I'm looking for and we haven't had that since we left Texas.  Wow, a big admission coming from me (who said she would never live in Texas again - ha ha).  So, another adventure is formulating.  We shall see where "in the country" we shall call home.